Sunday, October 17, 2010

Weekend 10 - Gratitude hike

Our 90-Day group gathered at 7:30AM Saturday morning to hike Adams Canyon. This was billed as our Gratitude Hike. I am afraid I missed the memo directing us to make a list of the 5 things we were most grateful for. More on that later.

I had heard of, but never been, to Adams Canyon. When we arrived the parking lot was already half full, and as we began our way up the switchbacks we encountered runners returning from their morning trail runs. Partway up the trail we saw campers and, along the way, many hikers. The trail is very well groomed and the scenery, especially on a perfect fall day, spectacular. Having lived in Davis County for nearly 30 years, I can't believe I have missed it. It already is one of my favorite places and it will be a place I return to again and again to hike and run.

Kristin, our coach, directed us to head up the canyon at our own pace and we quickly broke into small groups. I soon found myself walking with Melodi Christensen, whose husband Josh helped me prepare for the program with a number of muscle activation sessions where he successfully revitalized my legs and shoulders. Melodi is sweet, kind, quiet and serious. She seems very consistent and has been extremely generous to me. Kristin joined us after we had hiked for 20 minutes or so, and asked Melodi to list the 5 things for which she was most grateful. Besides her husband and children she expressed gratitude for aspects of her religious faith, all of which I found very endearing.

We were soon joined by Meg Naisbett, my fellow BYU Law School alum, and a retired Weber County prosecutor. Meg asked me what 5 things I was most grateful for, at which time it was evident that this was something I should have thought about in advance. I won't say I was exactly stumped, but I did have to give the question a few moments of thought. My first response was "my wife and four kids," which adds up to five. I then explained that if I consider them two categories - wife and children - I am grateful for friends, "this!!" (while holding my arms out wide and looking at the gorgeous canyon walls), and finally the experience we are soon to complete. My list is much longer than that, but it is a pretty good start.

I asked Meg, "What about you?" She expressed agreement with my own feelings about the benefits of our 90 days.

We finally all found a gathering place near the canyon stream and then shared our thoughts and feelings about our common experience. Without going into the details of people's comments, many of which were very personal, there seemed to be a couple common threads;

First, while we are of very diverse ages and backgrounds, we definitely have formed a bond. I recall during orientation that Marci or one of our coaches, possibly Kristin, commented that we are all part of this group for a reason. And, indeed, we all came seeking to improve our lives, physically and mentally. Doing so is hard and requires a lot of discipline, and it seems a bedrock principle of human nature that people who do hard things together for a good purpose inevitably form strong attachments. Many Ragnar and other overnight relay participants have reported a similar bonding experience, though no doubt the strength and durability of the bond is proportional to the length and difficulty of the struggle.

Second, while there was mention of the physical benefits of the program, people focused more on the mental and spiritual changes they had made. These included improved relationships with spouses, relatives and colleagues, discovery of self worth, banishment of chaos, and balance. There were more than a few tears shed. That and someone spilled her Camelback directly uphill from me so that somewhere in the middle of our discussion I suddenly discovered that my butt was cold and wet, providing momentary comic relief.

I hiked back with Meg. We got separated from the group and, demonstrating the skills lawyers lack, managed to twice walk past the trail spur that leads back to the parking lot (which as trails go is on the order of a freeway). We first wandered too far north, then too far south. We finally got directions from an old veteran and successfully made it back to our cars.

I got home in time to see Tauni drive off, headed for a bridal fair in Provo. The whole wedding thing is hard for me to comprehend. Tauni and I got married a month after our engagement and I recall nothing about the planning other than where to go on our honeymoon, the ring, something about the dress, and the location of our reception. I don't recall Nina's wedding being very complicated. The planning for Mari's is on the order of a presidential inauguration. I thought everything was settled a couple weeks ago with dates and locations of the rehearsal dinner and two receptions (one in Salt Lake and the other in Poway), the dress, the photographer and the ring. But there seem to remain a myriad of details to resolve that I scarcely comprehend - which include, so far as I can tell, the florist, the table decorations and the reception menu. I am sure it will all be lovely. Can't wait to see what they all decide.

Anyway, after Tauni left I changed into bike gear with the object of riding my bike for about an hour. I did the out-back ride through Farmington to Glover Lane, past Dan's house and out Sunset to the new junior high. Round trip 22 miles. Average speed 16.9 mph, a new record for me.

Following the ride I drove to Provo to pick up Tauni and visit my valiant brother Ron and wife Karen and my parents. Ron and Karen have been tending Dad most of the time since he broke his hip a couple months ago. Dad seems remarkably improved. I am astounded, though, that Ron and Karen have been willing to put their lives on hold to nurse Dad back to some semblance of independence. They have been remarkable, and for their service the entire family should be very grateful. They are not the only family members who have stepped in to help, but no one else has set aside everything to basically do nothing but meet the needs of Mom and Dad. My deepest gratitude to them for their sacrifice.




No comments: