Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Week 11 - Headin' out for San Diego

I recall a time when one of Tauni's and my favorite songs was "Come Monday," Jimmy Buffet's ode to the loneliness of the road. Seems like I have spent a lot of time there the past several years. I really don't want to take off all that much anymore, at least not alone. I'm currently flying to San Diego; had to miss my morning workout to catch this flight. I miss our group and am already mourning the end of 90 days, which will come all too soon.

Now I am thinking beyond, toward winter and how to maintain what we've begun. This includes continued vigilance to maintain good diet and exercise habits, but also maintaining friendships. Changes can bring both joy and struggle. I have always wanted to see what is around the bend and have sought to avoid routine. I am energized by new experiences, challenges and friends. And, yet, it has been such a pleasure to get up early every day, meet the same group of people working toward a common goal, and come away on both an endorphin high and with the attitude that I am up for anything life throws my way. That structure has improved my life and I will be sorry to see it go. Now I must take initiative to plan exercise routines, find workout partners, and maintain relationships.

With the Vegas Ragnar coming later this week, I already feel my adrenaline surging. It has been a long time since I laced up my shoes for competition. Low key though this competition may be - several on our team running in their first race - I feel like a racehorse in the gate, ready to burst out and push toward my limits, even though I have know idea why I feel I should. What in the world is it that makes us want to compete? Why do we have a need to push through barriers? I recall Kristin telling me about visualizing crashing through walls during the final miles of the Top of Utah Marathon. I passed that image on to Nina, who used it to keep going when she wanted to quit running during the St. George Marathon.

I flipped through an issue of Trail Running on the flight. The issue focused on 100-mile ultramarathons, and, in particular, on this year's Western States 100. Times keep coming down; the winner nearly broke 15 hours this year, a bit over 9 minute mile pace. That's faster than the pace I hope hold in the Ragnar. The Western States recap described how the top competitors had to back off and regroup at times during the race, or, in other words, fight through their own barriers. A lot of ultra-distance running is managing pace, nutrition and hydration, which makes smashing barriers possible. A relatively short overnight relay does not involve near the stress on the body of a 100-miler, but the process of regrouping and facing mental barriers is similar. Key for me will be to keep going without being stupid and pushing into injury.

It has been a long time since I felt this anticipation. I can't wait for the experience.

No comments: