Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 2

I have learned that the official name for the my new diet and fitness program is the Marci Lock 90 Day Mind-Body Transformation. Before I started, Dan told me that the first couple weeks were easy. After that, each workout would be an hour of pain.

If our trainers have gone easy on us so far, I can hardly wait to see what comes next. In two days I have experienced a level of pain that recently has been matched only in my chiropractors's office. This morning alone I reached a level of pain where, if Erin and Kristin had not been pushing me, I would have quit at least four times. Of course, the potential humiliation of quitting in front of a roomful of women working out near me was also strong motivation to keep going.

But the results so far have been outstanding. My bum knee already feels better than it has since I broke it seven years ago. I told Kristin this morning that my goal is to run the Ragnar Tennessee on November 6. Yesterday I thought there was a 50% chance I could do it. Today, barring something unforeseen, I am convinced I can do it. If nothing else, the mind part of the program is working. As my brother Ron might say, the brainwashing so far has been very effective.

Today I reached another milestone of sorts. I completed muscle activation therapy with Dr. Josh Christensen. Each time he tests a muscle and it collapses at the push of his little finger I think there must be some trick. Then he works me over for a few minutes, often causing the aforementioned extreme pain. After that, my previously flimsy muscle resists his very firm push. I am convinced the work he has done in reactivating the muscles in my legs (6 muscles/ leg) has caused me to lose my limp and made it possible to feel as good as I do today following the cardio workout.

Regarding my current level of fitness, the biggest surprises so far have been how weak my shoulders and abs are. While doing planks, Erin commented she could hold a plank all day. I collapsed after about 5 seconds. I didn't come close to holding for the 20 seconds she told us to do.

Today we received our food logs and were instructed to record everything we eat, including precise quantities and calorie counts for three weeks. That and swear off sugar and diet drinks. My daily calorie quota is 1870, which till this week has been, for me, a typical lunch.

Sadly, my dad fell yesterday and broke his hip. I called brother Ron after leaving Dr. Christensen's office. Dad is quite disoriented, announces his name and date of birth to everyone who enters his room. This morning he ordered my sister to call me and my brothers and have us come to the hospital and bring him home. At times he thinks he is home.

We'll never know this for sure, but Dad's determination to care for himself and be independent has probably contributed to his loss of independence. Had he been willing to use a wheelchair outside the home, maybe he wouldn't have fallen and broken his arm two weeks ago. If that hadn't happened, maybe he wouldn't have fallen yesterday. I think that among the hardest things in life are to understand that we sometimes need help, to recognize when we need it, and to accept needed help when offered. Reminds me of the sermon of the Reverend Maclean in "River Runs Through It." As that good Reverend said, even if those we know and love won't accept our help, we can still love completely without complete understanding. So it is with Dad. Even though he has refused help I think would have made a difference, we know we have no course but to love completely and to help all we can to ease the burdens of his old age.

Last, I talked to Dan following the workout. Told him Marci has now, for me, become the magical Wizard, the woman behind the curtain. Putting it in different terms, Dan remarked that she has made herself the brand -- which of course is the goal of every smart lawyer.

And with that observation, back to preparation for my summary judgment hearing tomorrow morning.

No comments: